Photos and Text by Lydia Aisenberg
Even after a few hours of walking around the Givat Haviva campus, Intensive Arabic Semester students still did not get to see a great deal of what can be found in the various departments, exhibition halls and archives of the 1949 founded institute in Wadi Ara.
Although the IAS program is under the joint auspices of MASA and Givat Haviva, students are based in the nearby Hashomer Hatzair kibbutz of Barkai where they reside and attend classes in spoken Arabic, Arab history, Middle Eastern studies, Israel studies in the context of Arab relations, Hebrew and much more.
During the recent visit to the campus students learned about the story of Haviva Reik – after whom the campus is named – whilst sitting around the memorial unveiled in her honor in November, 2009 – the 65th anniversary since her death. They also visited the Art Center and Peace Gallery, viewed the Peace Tree project of 2003 on the main lawn as well as the Peace Pole situated between the old and new buildings of the Peace Library, and were taken around one of the main exhibitions of Moreshet, The Mordechai Anielewicz Holocaust Study and Research Center situated on campus.
Students view the ‘Drishat Shalom’ postcard exhibition and center, Yaacov Guterman designed postcard forpeace and right: exhibition of art work of a local artist from Harish who paints areas of the local forest underthreat of being uprooted in order to build homes for ultra‐orthodox families slated to live in the area. Thestudents met with Art Center director Etti Amram and teachers assistant Mitzi Alper, the latter a member ofKibbutz Barkai – the home away from home for the IAS students.